Main : News

Mycotoxins in food products

, 15:49
0 1845

we All know it — mold on food products, which is formed after prolonged storage, failure to use optimal shelf-life. Often meet with her — white or green microscopic fungi that “eat” products, and do not even think about the danger they pose to our health.

Known for over 200 different types of fungus secreted toxic compounds and causing chronic or acute diseases (one of which is – ), which can get into food and, subsequently, consequently, in our body. How many of them are in our own kitchen or in the restaurants and cafes on the street, remains a mystery. These harmful and even dangerous bacteria called mycotoxins.

Mycotoxins-metabolic products of mold fungi, characterized by high toxicity and severe levels of carcinogens.

How to prevent the development of mycotoxins

it is Important to know that the higher the nutritional value and moisture content of the product, the more susceptible it is to fungal infection. Almost any food product with prolonged and improper storage, the formation of favorable conditions for the growth of fungal mold. Most commonly affected are be foods such as nuts, dried and fresh fruit, spices and even coffee.

the Problem is that in many cases we may not even see the mycotoxins on the surface of products. Which, of course, does not mean that they are not. Therefore, it is important to follow some basic rules for storage and consumption:

  • store food needs to be in accordance with the necessary conditions: temperature, humidity, light and timing;
  • the
  • not to consume foods with the presence of mold, regardless of how small its value;
  • the
  • with solid fruit with a minor mildew stains, to remove, it should as far as possible, leaving only the healthy part. Tomatoes and other fleshy fruits and vegetables do not consume at all, even after removing the rotten areas. The toxins contained in them very quickly spread throughout the pulp;
  • the
  • should not eat foods improperly stored or expired, even if they retained a good appearance and taste;
  • the
  • bread emitted even in the presence of a small speck of mold on it;
  • especially need to be careful when buying for themselves and their children nuts or dried fruits. Especially in cases, when it comes to products imported from countries with tropical climates; the

  • store fresh fruits and vegetables should be in a dry and cool place, and in any case not in plasticine bags. They accumulate moisture and is the ideal environment for fungal growth;
  • the
  • refrigerator and the Cabinet that holds products is required to regularly cleaned using a solution of water and vinegar diluted in equal amounts.

the Most dangerous mycotoxin

the Most dangerous to human health is such mycotoxins as aflatoxin B1, which is scientifically proven is the cause of liver cancer in the far East and Africa. Is formed at a temperature of 40-50 degrees Celsius and contains a large number of nuts (peanuts, cashews, walnuts, peas etc), spices, coffee, cocoa imported from this part of the world.

Another extremely poisonous toxin, but this time with a native origin, is ochratoxin A. It is mainly of the mold, formed on crops, has strongly carcinogenic action damaging the kidneys and liver. It is found, however, apples, pears, spices and oilseeds. May be present in beer and wine, if their production gets dirty raw materials.

Patulin, produced by Aspergillus and Penicillium. Refers to a group of neurotoxins and is a mutagen (causes gene mutations), and teratogenic properties. It is a suitable environment for the development of fungi, which are contained in some fruits (mostly apples, pears, grapes) and grain (barley, rice, wheat). Interestingly, before to prove its toxic effect, patulin was used as antibiotic.

Mycotoxins can end up in food on our tables with meat and other animal products (eggs, butter, milk, cheese), which are derived from animals whose feed was contaminated with mycotoxins.

Attention! Most mycotoxins are chemically stable compounds and thus survive in different technological processes of food processing (drying, freezing, thermal processing).

Harmful if cheese with noble mold?

Gourmet cheeses with the addition of noble rot (blue, white and red) raise controversial issues about consumption. Mould is in them contained, are called precious because they are cultivated, controlled and intentionally added in the product.

in addition, it is scientifically proven that in the presence of several fungi, certain bacteria may die, which is why some mold can even be useful as antiseptic properties. That is why most nutritionists recommend consuming cheese for regulation of digestion — reduce fermentation and putrefaction in the intestines.

Important! Between noble and ignoble mold there is no significant biological difference. It is for this and other reasons, such cheeses are not suitable for pregnant women, nursing mothers and young children.

Translated by "Yandex.Translate":

Author: Artlife
0 (votes: 0)

Read also: